Online First

Short Communication
GVHD relapse-free survival after peripheral blood hematopoietic cell transplantation for hematologic malignancies
Deepesh P. Lad1, Prashant Chhabra1, Kripa Shanker Kasudhan1, Shaweta Kaundal1, Madhu Chopra1, Charanpreet Singh1, Aditya Jandial1, Arihant Jain1, Gaurav Prakash1, Alka Khadwal1, Pankaj Malhotra1

1 Department of Clinical Hematology and Medical Oncology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India

Submitted:September 28, 2022
Accepted:February 27, 2023
Published online:May 19, 2023


The preferred choice for hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) donors in India is a matched related donor (MRD) followed by a haploidentical (haplo) donor for patients with hematological malignancies. International data in the haplo-HCT setting is mainly using bone marrow as a source. Almost all HCTs in India use peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC), which increases the risk of graft-versus-host disease (GVHD). In this single-center prospective study from 2017 to 2021, we sought to compare these outcomes prospectively in adult patients with hematological malignancies. Patient, disease, donor, and HCT details were prospectively recorded. GVHD prophylaxis included cyclosporine + methotrexate in MRD-HCT and post-transplant cyclophosphamide (PTCy) based in haplo-HCT. The primary endpoint GVHD relapse-free survival (GRFS) was defined as the time post-HCT without any of the following events: grade III-IV acute GVHD, chronic GVHD requiring systemic immunosuppressive treatment, disease relapse, or death from any cause. A total of 41 MRD and 33 haplo-HCT recipients were included in the study. Both cohorts were matched for age, sex, diagnosis, disease risk index, donor age, sex and CMV mismatches, and CD34 counts. A lower proportion of MRD-HCT recipients than haplo-HCT received myeloablative conditioning (39% vs. 76%, p = 0.002). There was no difference in the cumulative incidence of grade III-IV acute GVHD (16% vs. 27%, p = 0.2) or moderate-to-severe chronic GVHD (58% vs. 71%, p = 0.5). The one-year GRFS was not significantly different (53% vs. 38%, p = 0.2), with median GRFS of 420 and 274 days. The relapse incidence (22% vs. 19%, p = 0.6) and non-relapse mortality (25% vs. 35%, p = 0.4) did not differ. There was no difference in overall survival at one year (60% vs. 52%, p = 0.3). Despite a higher proportion of myeloablative conditioning in the haplo-HCT cohort, all outcomes, including GRFS, were comparable to those of the MRD-HCT cohort. This should encourage patients without an MRD to undergo haplo-HCT.



Online ISSN:2432-7026